The origin of the gin-soaked raisins cure is shrouded in urban legend, though this famous home remedy got a boost from legendary newsman Paul Harvey. Some kinds of pain that have been relieved or eliminated after taking the gin-soaked raisin formula include migraine headaches,gout and arthritic pain. Many experts will tell you this is nothing but a placebo effect, but any herbalist can easily spot the science behind it. Gin is a spirit flavored with juniper berries, which are diuretic and depurative. Raisins also contain several anti-inflammatory compounds: ascorbic acid, cinnamic acid, coumarin, myricetin, quercetin, and resveratrol. It would stand to reason that the alcohol in the gin would extract the medicinal compounds in the raisins, just as it does in other herbal tinctures.
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1-2 cup gin (enough to just cover the raisins)
A few juniper berries (optional)
Juniper * Grape Raisins *
- Put the raisins in a shallow glass container and pour enough gin into it to just cover the raisins
- Add a few juniper berries if you have them on hand
- Cover the bowl lightly and allow to stand until the raisins absorb the gin and the remaining liquid evaporates, about one week or so.
- The dose is nine raisins a day. It may take at least a few weeks to feel the effects.
Tags and Uses for this Remedy
- Arthritis :There are many other herbal medicines that fight inflammation and relieve pain; you will find the details on how to use them in the following pages.
- Gout :Gout, one of the most painful forms of arthritis, is found primarily in men. While we can't cure it, we do have several highly effective herbal treatments to control it.
- Headache/Migraine :Headaches can be triggered by a variety of factors, such as muscle tension, fatigue and emotional upsets.
- Pain Relief :Herbal remedies can bring blessed relief from body aches, sore muscles, headaches and arthritis pain..
- Rheumatoid_arthritis :There are many herbal remedies that can help to ease
rheumatoid arthritis pain ,and many have a long history of use.
- Tinctures And Herbal Extracts :Learn how to make and use herbal tinctures, which are simply herbs extracted with alcohol, glycerin, or vinegar. Preserve your own home herbal harvest, and bulk organic herbs in a easy to use form.
Buy Bulk Herbs and Supplies