The sweet roots of Sarsaparilla and Sassafras formed the basis of original root beers. They
were used along with a host of spices, a few of which I include in the spice
mix portion of these remedy. The roots not only combine well flavor wise, they
have similar and complementary actions as blood purifiers.
Sassafras oil contains safrole, which should not be used alone, but the teas whole root have an extended history of use with no reported side effects. Sassafras is a traditional American "spring tonic".|
- 1 tablespoon sassafras root bark
- 1 tablespoon sarsaparilla root
- 1/2 tablespoon dandelion root
- 1/2 tablespoon yucca
Spice mixture: 1 teaspoon of the following mix per pot of tea. Feel free to experiment and adjust to taste
- 1 part cinnamon
- 1 part anise seeds
- 1 part orange peel
- a few whole cloves
Sarsaparilla * Sassafras * Dandelion * Yucca * Orange * Clove * Anise * Cinnamon *
|Variations:Anise, nutmeg, lime, birch, burdock, yellow dock, licorice|
: This decoction benefits from soaking, especially the sassafras. Soak roots overnight if you have time. Bring to a boil slowly, and simmer, covered on a low heat for at least 20 minutes. Pour off from the top, allowing the brew to strengthen even further throughout the day. Drink 3 cups daily.
To make frothy, foamy root beer at home it must be either fermented with yeast,
or injected with CO2, while a fun project, is outside our scope here. There
are loads of recipes and instructs on the net if you are interested.
Tags and Uses for this Remedy
- Detoxification :Regular use of depurative herbs will help detox your body and most importantly support your liver. Poor liver function is one of the most common root causes of poor health.
- Herbal Decoctions :Unlike infusions, decoctions are boiled. Woody roots, non-aromatic seeds and barks are suited to this method. Tools: You will need a non-reactive, heavy saucepan. I use a Corningware 1 quart pan
- North American : Many important North American medicinal herbs are woodland
species, the uses and knowledge of which was passed along to the colonists
of the New World from the indigenous native tribes
- Rheumatoid_arthritis :There are many herbal remedies that can help to ease
rheumatoid arthritis pain ,and many have a long history of use.
- Spring Tonics :Spring tonics are intended to help
quicken the senses and cleanse the body after a long winter.
Buy Bulk Herbs and Supplies