Making a fall and winter holiday potpourri is a good project to go along with getting
the kitchen ready for the holidays.
It takes a good six weeks to cure a potpourri mix, so this is the time to get
started if you want to give potpourri as gifts and use to brighten your holiday table.
- Filler Materials: 8 cups: Whole spices such as star anise and cinnamon sticks. Pine needles, oak and maple leaves, flower petals, spent seed pods, flowering herbs ,acorns, barks
and wood chips all all examples of things you may use. There is no end of choices for natural plant materials that
can hold scent and look pleasing.
- Dried powdered spices: 1 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, anise
- Essential Oils: 25 drops cinnamon, 10 drops orange, 10 drops patchouli,
10 drops ginger, 5 drops sandalwood or vetiver oil
- Fixative: 1 tsp orris root
or 2 tsp benzoin
Cinnamon * Anise * Benzoin * Orris Root * Orange * Patchouli * Spearmint * Vetiver *
|Variations: Use variations/substitutions as it pleases you.|
- Make sure all fresh plant materials have dried completely.
- Mix essential oils, powders spices, and fixative together to form a moist
- Coat the filler mixing all ingredients well.
- Place in a covered container to cure for six weeks in a cool cupboard,
stirring occasionally. Glass and ceramic containers are preferred, plastics let
the essential oils evaporate.
- A wooden, cut glass, or ceramic bowl makes an attractive display container.
- Keep potpourri out of direct sunlight to keep flowers and leaves from fading.
- Refresh scent on occasion by adding a few drops of essential oils.
Tags and Uses for this Remedy
- Christmas :The earliest herbal stories of Christmas are rooted in the desert of the Holy Land, and begin with the the wisemen bearing gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense to the newborn child.
- Thanksgiving Harvest :The celebration of Thanksgiving is a celebration of the early American colonists
survival in a new and dangerous land. Each year we celebrate not only their triumphs,
but also give thanks for our own.
Buy Bulk Herbs and Supplies