Cayenne menthol salve
Cayenne salves bring powerful relief for any painful area, however I formulated this one specifically for my chronic lower back pain. Both cayenne and menthol
bring energy and circulation and help tight muscles relax. The menthol works
immediately to cool pain, the warming cayenne works long term as well to block
pain signals, with increasing results the longer you use it.
Cayenne can be irritating to skin. Test your sensitivity on a small area before widespread use. Thuja oil contains thujone, which has a high toxicity and should not be used by those with liver problems, who are pregnant, or in small children.|
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons cayenne powder
- 4 tablespoons emulsifying wax
- 2 tablespoons menthol cyrstals
- 30 drops essential oil blend
Coconut Oil * Cajeput Oil * Peppermint * Benzoin * Cayenne Pepper *
|Variations:To use a liquid oil in place of coconut, increase wax by 1 tablespoon. Use 20 drops peppermint essential oil in place of menthol|
- If the coconut is solid heat gently until it liquefies.
- Stir in the cayenne powder, mixing well.
- Place in a warm location where it will be convenient to stir occasionally.
- I use my yogurt maker on the kitchen table, but a sunny window or warm cupboard will do.
- After 7 to 10 days stop stirring.
Keep the coconut oil warm so it does not become solid yet. Give the powder time to settle to the bottom of the jar. This can be 2 to 3 days. When the oil is clear(er), pour off the top into a clean jar, discarding the gunky powder residue. You will lose about a 1/4 cup of oil to the powder.
- Melt the wax in the microwave. Warm the clarified oil to hot, (not boiling)
and mix in the wax.
- Add the menthol crystals and stir to dissolve.
- Add 10 drops each benzoin resin, cinnamon and cajaput. Add 20 drops of peppermint oil if you are not using menthol crystals.
- Cap the jar and let it set. Store in a cool, dry cupboard away from heat. If salve gets too runny in the summer, keep it refrigerated.
Tags and Uses for this Remedy
- Arthritis :There are many other herbal medicines that fight inflammation and relieve pain; you will find the details on how to use them in the following pages.
- Circulation :Poor circulation makes itself felt in many ways including fatigue, poor concentration
and swelling in legs and feet.
- Nerve/Back Pain : Nerve pain is more difficult to treat than other types of muscle and joint
pain. This is something you know well if you have had a lower back injury or
slipped disc; sciatica can be devastating.
- Pain Relief :Herbal remedies can bring blessed relief from body aches, sore muscles, headaches and arthritis pain..
- Rheumatoid_arthritis :There are many herbal remedies that can help to ease
rheumatoid arthritis pain ,and many have a long history of use.
- Salve :Home recipes for healing balms and salves for your home herbalist first aid kit. Blister balms, cold sores, cuts, scrapes, rashes, sunburn, good for almost any skin irritations.
Buy Bulk Herbs and Supplies