Herbal Teas Combat Bladder Infections
Drinking herbal teas is a time tested method of combating bladder and urinary tract infections.
Some of the best known herbal teas for bladder infections include
buchu , bearberry and cornsilk but there are many others. Just increasing the amount of liquid you are taking in helps to increase the amount of urine, and helps flush out harmful bacteria. Drinking herbal teas in place of soft drinks helps to cut down on the sugars that feed bacteria infections. Adding a pinch of baking soda to these herbal teas will help decrease the burning sensation.
Mixing diuretic teas with soothing demulcents like marsh
couch grass calm inflammation in the urinary
tract. These herbs contains mucilage that help to coat the urinary tract as
well as antibacterial properties that fight the infection.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931) Butterbur has been used as a remedy in fevers, asthma, colds and urinary complaints, a decoction being taken warm in wineglassful doses, frequently repeated.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Volume 2" Harcourt, (1931) The great demulcent and emollient properties of Marsh Mallow make it useful in inflammation and irritation of the urinary and respiratory organs.
- American Botanical Council . Uva Ursi leaf: Expanded Commission E Monographs , Integrative Medicine Communications, (1994):
- Linda B. White, M.D.. "The Herbal Drugstore" , (2003) Studies show that the berberine in Oregon grape may kill many types of bacteria, including E.coli, and prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder lining.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Extracts if corn silk are potent diuretics, giving rise to their use for all sorts of kidney-related and urinary complaints.
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) One of the safest and most effective diuretics, dandelion root is rich in natural potassium, which enriches the body's supply. The diuretic power of the dandelion has been favorably compared with a common diuretic drug, Frusemide. p52
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Over-the-counter premenstrual diuretics ( such as Fluidex or Odrinil) contain buchu as an active ingredient. The diosphenol in buchu helps kill bacteria, and the diuretic action helps to flush out the urinary tract.
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) Cleavers is a reliable diuretic used to help clean gravel and urinary stones and to treat urinary infections. It is also traditionally used for cancer, particularly that of the lymphatic system.
- . Pipsissewa Herb Profile , Mountain Rose Herbs, (): A native North American evergreen, Pipsissewa,Chimaphila umbellate, is primarly used to treat infections.
- Hoffmann, David . Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine , Healing Arts Press., (2010): Cranberry juice helps flush out the urinary system by keeping bacteria from getting a foothold in the lining of the urinary tract., 381
- Linda B. White, M.D.. "The Herbal Drugstore" , (2003)
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931) Cleavers acts as a diuretic and blood purifier. Regular use detoxifies the body, treating an underlying cause of chronic skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and acne.
- Robert B Tisserand. "The Art of Aromatherapy" Healing Arts, (1977)
- Susan Miller Cavitch . The soapmaker's companion , , (1997): Kukui nut oil is high in linoleic and essential fatty acids with are critical for healthy skin.