Wounds & Cuts: Natural Home Care
Knowing how to use simple home remedies for healing and disinfecting cuts and
scrapes an important part in taking care of your family and yourself. Once you determine
an injury doesn't merit a trip to the emergency room for stitches, you can break
out your home herbalist kit. Honey is a time-honored wound healer because of its natural antibacterial properties, and kids and pets love it. Use a good quality raw honey
cover with gauze and tape in place. Simple remedies like a dusting of cayenne powder
to stop bleeding, or dabbing on some fresh aloe gel on a cut, and knowing which
leaves make the best field dressing can save the day.
You can also be prepared with herbal oils, salves and balms that are soothing,
anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial - these homemade preparations can heal
wounds of all kinds very effectively.
- Used as a skin wash, agrimony can effectively stop bleeding from cuts and scrapes. Agrimony is also considered a very useful agent in skin eruptions and pimples,rashes, blotches, etc.
- Aloe vera gel is soothing, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial, use it liberally on cuts, scrapes and wounds of all kinds.
- Anti-inflammatory, astringent, and antiseptic, calendula creams,lotions and infused oils promote new skin growth and slows down bleeding. Use calendula tea made from the fresh flowers as a skin wash.
Chickweed poultices are useful for cooling and soothing minor burns and skin irritations, and rashes particularly when associated with dryness and itching.
- Comfrey salves, ointments and teas
are best know for the topical treatment of burns, skin ulcerations, abrasions,
lacerations, flea and insect bites, and just about any skin irritation. Add
berberine containing herbs such as coptis,
barberry, goldenseal, or Oregon grape to kill bacteria that could cause infection.
- Essential oils contain natural antibacterial compounds to prevent and treat infection and reduce inflammation. Cinnamon and clove reduce pain and disinfect wounds. Geranium oil can be applied to stop excessive bleeding and hemorrhaging. These essential oils make a great addition to your first aid kit.
- Tea tree oil, Chamomile, Lavender
essential oil are mild enough to use without diluting and work wonders
on rashes, burns, cuts, skin abscess and boils. They also make good antibacterial
skin washes in either herbal tea or oil form.
- Witch hazel is one of the best general and all purpose remedy for scrapes, cuts and abrasions, scalds, sunburns and other inflammatory conditions of the skin.