Herbs For The Heart
Herbal remedies for the heart focus on how to prevent heart disease and maintain cardiovascular health. Hawthorn berries, used in combination with motherwort are used along with other herbs to promote longevity and strengthen the heart.
- Herbs such as alfalfa, fenugreek and chicory decrease cholesterol levels and shrink plaques.
- Blood pressure
- Even small diet changes like cooking with more garlic and savory herbs instead of salt can have beneficial effects.
- Adaptogenic herbs like ginseng can reduce stress
- Some root causes of poor blood flow can be a weak heart, veins narrowed by plaque buildup, and poor vein tone
If you are already under a doctors care for your heart, remember that mixing herbs and prescription drugs is an unwise choice.
Herbal Heart Tonics
- Angelica contains at least 14 anti-arrhythmic compounds which have a similar action to popular calcium channel blockers.
- arjuna is among the most frequently prescribed herbs for cardiovascular health in ayurvedic medicine. It improves cardiac muscle function and improved pumping activity of the heart.
- astragalus is often used in combination with Codonopisis pilosula to strengthen the heart in TCM formulas.
Sparteine, one active constituent of broom is often compared to the heart-depressing drugs. Broom is approved for use by German Commission E for stabilizing irregular heart rhythm.
- Cayenne reduces cholesterol and triglycerides and helps keep the blood flowing smoothly through veins and arteries. Antioxidant properties in peppers enhance their cardiovascular properties.
- Drinking one to five cups of coffee a day may decrease stroke risk in women., The benefits of the antioxidant polyphenols and other compounds in coffee may boost endothelial function, cut down on inflammation, and improve insulin sensitivity as well.
- Wine and whole grapes have a host of phytomedicinal compounds (OPC's) that relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and protect the cardiovascular system from free radial damage. Resveratrol supplementation can induce metabolic changes in obesity, mimicking the effects of calorie restriction.
- hawthorn extracts are a supreme
cardiovascular supplement. They improve the heart muscle's metabolism and have
a marked impact on angina pectoris, arteriosclerosis, hypertension, and the
fluid buildup of congestive heart failure.
- Horehound has a folk reputation for calming a nervous heart. The medicinal chemicals responsible for Horehound's expectorant action, marrubiin and marrubinic acid, also help stabilize heart rhythm.
- Motherwort is a traditional heart tonic known to lower cholesterol, reduce platelet accumulation, and generally strengthen the heart. It also slows a too-rapid heart rate, especially when anxiety is a contributing factor.
- olive oil may be considered a major protective component of the Mediterranean diet for stroke. Scientific evidence suggests that eating about 2 tablespoons (23 grams) of olive oil daily may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease due to the monounsaturated fat in olive oil.