Home recipes for herbs, teas and oils - Natural Beauty and Family Health
Parasites Treatments: Natural Remedies
Elecampane Inula helenium
Anthelmintic herbs are used in herbal remedies to treat intestinal worms, often combined with laxatives. Problems arise when these herbs are overused, the harder the herb is on internal parasites, the harder it is on the body. Herbs containing thujone, such as wormwood and tansy, can be toxic if overdosed. Gentler herbs like garlic and agrimony are much safer, and have fewer side effects, but generally take longer to work.
Take an infestation of parasites seriously, and consult a qualified health practitioner, do not attempt to use home treatments for worms if you are pregnant.
- Agrimony contains the chemical compound agrimophol, which expels parasites. Agrimony is gentle and Tonic to the digestive system.
- Black walnut hulls offer safe worm intervention, but is not intended for chronic or long term use. Avoid herbal remedies including both heartwood and hulls.
- Butternut can be employed as a vermifuge. The expressed oil of the fruit removes tapeworm.
- Elecampane treats parasitic infections, including roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and threadworm and the plant has long been used externally for scabies, herpes and other skin diseases from which it gained its country name scabwort.
- garlic is safe and effective used over time power to kill roundworm, pinworm, tapeworm, and hookworm. Add to pets food in small amounts. Goldenseal combines well with garlic as an anti-parasitic treatment
- Oregon graperoot and goldenseal both contains berberine, which acts against the parasites Entamoeba bistolytica and Giadia lamblia.
- While it is less reliable than the more toxic remedies such as male fern ( Aspidium filix-mas) pumpkin seed has the great advantage of being entirely safe. 200 - 400 g of unpeeled pumpkin seeds can be ground to a porridge like consistency and mixed with milk and honey. This is given on an empty stomach in the morning in two portions. Two to three hours later castor oil is taken. This is important for pumpkin seeds only paralyses the tapeworm and do not kill it. (Weiss, Rudolf Fritz M.D.)
- Tansy, like the classic dewormer wormwood, contains thujone, a powerful tool in the hands of a trained professional for expelling round-worm and threadworm. Tansy is of doubtful value as a worm treatment and is not without risk. Thujone is hard on the host as well as the parasites and toxic to the central nervous system if taken in too large doses or for too long.