Cancer: Nourishing Herbs With Anti-tumor Properties
A diet rich in plant food coupled with sensible lifestyle choices is the
most important thing you can do to increase your odds of beating cancer. The
numbers are quite staggering, people who eat lots of fruits and vegetables
have about one-half the risk of cancer and a lower death rate than those who
don't. According to The National Cancer Institute, some of the foods and herbs
you should be with the highest anticancer action are garlic,
cabbage, ginger,, turmeric, licorice, and
the umbelliferous vegetables (including carrots, celery, cilantro, parsley and
parsnips). They also include soybeans in the list, however concerns about genetically
modified (GM) soy have led many people to turn away from soy products in recent
years. 10Remember, cancer is too serious a condition to self medicate.
There are no silver bullets, and no miracle cures. That said, there are many
natural herbal treatments that fly below the radar of conventional medicine,
and are deserving of consideration.
Herbal medicine provides a wide array of herbs that can be enlisted in the fight against cancer.
Most prominent on the list are: blessed thistle, 2,16, holy basil,3 grapes, 9 evening primrose oil, and olive leaf. I would encourage you to learn more about these healing herbs by clicking through to the in-depth herb profiles.
Cannabis sativa is
also one of the few things that can reliably relieve nausea induced by chemotherapy.
While many states have passed more enlightened laws pertaining to its use,
it is still unfortunately out of reach for many cancer patients. 6
See Also :
- Cholesterol : High cholesterol is directly linked to diet and lifestyle and as such,
using herbs as medicinal foods should be a first line defense and treatment.
- Culinary/Kitchen :You already have a powerful natural home health remedies in your kitchen. Culinary
herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme not only add taste to foods, they make the
food you eat better for you.
- Diabetes :Healthy herbs in the kitchen work along with a healthy lifestyle to help prevent
and manage diabetes. Baked goods are more diabetic friendly with spices like
cinnamon used to lessen the need for sugar.
- Diet/weight Loss :Herbal remedies for weight loss are one of the most popular uses for herbs
and also the most misused and misunderstood.
- Hypertension :A holistic approach combining the use of carefully chosen herbal remedies,
along with lifestyle changes can go a long way to improve the overall cardiovascular
health and lower
- Liver :A healthy liver is the foundation of health, and inversely, a failing liver is
- Longevity Tonics :Tonic herbs for longevity can be taken in small amounts over a long period of
time, and are not meant to "alter" or effect any one symptom of disease.
- Nutrition :The line between food and medicine is an artificial one. Debilitating, preventable diseases like diabetes and heart disease and directly related to our diet and
it is no coincidence that so many healing herbs and plants are also foods,
- Stop Smoking :Lobelia and other herbs can help you to ease off nicotine and stop smoking tobacco.
Buy organic bulk herbs, spices, oils and teas
"Kitchen Medicine" Herb profiles and Annies favorite remedies - formatted to read on your Kindle.
Learn how to get a good nights sleep, cure a cold,
lower your blood sugar, lose weight, and supercharge your energy and vitality
- and so much more..
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.
- Adele Dawson. "Herbs: Partners in Life" Healing Arts Press, (2000) The bruised leaves of parsley, applied externally are used by herbalists, alone or with celandine, comfrey and red clover to dispel tumors.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) According to research, all parts of blessed thistle show some ability to combat tumors. The active constituent, cinicin, cools inflammation, fights bacteria and reduces fluid retention
- Thomas M. Newmark. "Beyond Aspirin" SCB, (2000) Ocimum sanctum, holy basil, contains the phytonutrient ursolic acid which is specifically recognized for its COX-2 inhibitory effects. Derivatives of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid possess potential anti-inflammatory and cancer-preventing activity related to their inhibition of COX-2 pp63-64
- Linda B. White, M.D.. "The Herbal Drugstore" , (2003) Burdock, a traditional detoxifying herb has demonstrated antitumor effects in animal studies, in other research it has acted as an antimutagen.
- Boehm K, Borrelli F, Ernst E, et a . Green tea (Camellia sinensis) for the prevention of cancer , Herb Clip American Botanical Council, (2010): Studies comparing green tea consumption to cancer rates in Japan and China have connected a far lower incidence of malignancies, however there is insufficient and conflicting evidence regarding green tea consumption for cancer prevention.,
- Barbara Joseph . My healing from breast cancer , McGraw-Hill Professional, 1998, (1998): Hemp is one of the best plant based sources of Omega 3 fatty acids that have been shown to decrease the risk of certain cancers, including breast cancer, 146
- Mostly anecdotal evidence for use in cancer. Included in both Hoxsey and essiac herbal formulas. Flavinoids in red clover have been shown in some studies to inhibit carcinogenic substances. A poultice of red clover flowers can be applied in cancerous lesions on the skin.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Garlic lowers the incidence of cancer, particularly in the gastrointestinal system
- Re:Resveratrol in Grapes and Wine May Inhibit Cancer , HC# 110875-123 American Botanical Council, ( November 08, 1997): Reseratrol, a compound found in grapes, possesses significant anti-inflammatory potential and displays some ability to lower blood fats, and inhibit certain tumors.,
- Craig, WJ. . Phytochemicals in Herbs Reduce Disease Risks , Phytochemicals: Guardians of our health Journal of the American Dietetic Association., (September 09, 1998): Rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme and other flavoring herbs that belong to the Labiatae (Mint) family are known to possess strong antioxidative activity.,
- PMID: 21318304 . The Antioxidant and Anti-proliferative Activity of the Lebanese Olea europaea Extract. , PUB MED,
- Dr Javier Menendez (quoted from) . Plant oil acts like cancer drug , BBC News, (2005-11-02): Scientists have pinpointed how evening primrose oil fights breast tumours.
- . Health benefits of rooibos , South African Rooibos Council, (2005-2006): Rooibos has proven cancer-fighting properties in animal research studies. Japanese research into the effects of oligosaccharides, also found in Rooibos, indicates that these compounds may aid the immune system in fighting viral infections.,
- Phyllis A. Balch. "Prescription for Herbal Healing" Avery, (2002) Alfalfa has important uses in counteracting the effects of cancer chemotherapy.
- Kroeger N, Belldegrun AS, Pantuck AJ . Review of the Research on Pomegranate Use for Male Urologic Health , Alternat Med. 2013;2013:701434. doi: 10.1155/2013/701434., (2013): Pomegranate has been shown to curb inflammation, increase nitric oxide (NO) production, reduce oxidative stress, and increase blood flow. Inflammation has been implicated in the development of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and BPH.,
- NIH . Definition of Blessed Thistle , National Cancer Institute, (): Blessed thistle may have anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects. The scientific name is Cnicus benedictus. Also called cardin, holy thistle, spotted thistle, and St. Benedict's thistle.,