congestion: herbal remedies for relief
Angelica root * Anise Seed * Bayberry * Cajeput Oil * Calamus root * Camphor * Cardamom * Cayenne Pepper * Colt's Foot * Elderberry * Elecampane * Eucalyptus * Eyebright * Fennel Seed * Goldenrod * Holy Basil * Horseradish root * Hyssop * Juniper Berries * Licorice Root * Meadowsweet * Mullein * Mustard * Peppermint * Pine * Pleurisy Root * Schisandra * Solomon's Seal * Spikenard * St. John's Wort * Thyme * Wild Cherry Bark *
Essential oils also have important antibacterial and antiviral actions that kill germs while they ease the breath. The beauty of using real essential oils in a vaporizer or aroma lamp, is that they act on many levels to relieve congestion. One the physical level they help you to breathe easier, while the antibacterial action helps cleanse the air of germs. Just as importantly the light, refreshing scents clear away the mental fatigue and lift your spirits. Inhaling volatile oils makes you feel as if you can breathe easier, even when airflow is not actually increasing.
- Some of the best home remedy decongestants are in your kitchen, onions, garlic, cayenne pepper, mustard , and horseradish all work fast and only cost pennies.
- Eucalyptus, Hyssop, Thyme, and Peppermint are all great remedies for congestion lend themselves to room vaporizers and diffusers, steam inhalations and foot baths.
- Coltsfoot relieves congestion and is very useful in treating bronchitis, cough, laryngitis, and the common cold. The herb also contains mucilages that coat the throat, relieving irritation.
- Eyebright is also a traditional remedy for nasal congestion and catarrh and may be taken as a tea.
- Steam inhalations of juniper berries are an excellent treatment for colds, coughs and excessive phlegm.
- Angelica root tea
- Blue Vervain tea
- Boneset herb tea
- Cajeput and Sage Room Disinfectant spray
- Cardamom Steam decongestant
- Cayenne Pepper Tea
- Coltsfoot Tea
- Elder and Schisandra Cough Syrup
- Elecampane root decoction
- Essential Oils for Congestion
- Eucalyptus leaf tea
- Eucalyptus/Yarrow flu blend
- Goldenrod tea
- Herbal decongestant steam
- Hyssop Tea
- Lobelia Tea
- Medieval elder cough tea
- Mustard seed foot bath
- Mustard seed plaster
- Peppermint tea
- Rosemary -Ginseng cold tea
- Rosemary for congestion
- Sinusitis yarrow tea foot bath
- Surprisingly good turmeric tea
- Trikatu for dieters
- Tulsi Cold and Flu Tea
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.