Eczema Remedies and Herbs
Argan Oil * Balsam of Peru * Benzoin Resin * Birch bark & leaf * Borage Seed Oil * Burdock root * Cacao * Cajeput Oil * Chamomile * Chaparral * Cleavers * Chickweed * Comfrey Root * Copaiba Balsam * Evening Primrose Oil * Figwort * Fumitory * Goldenseal * Gotu Kola * Grindelia * Jewel Weed * Juniper Berries * Kukui Nut Oil * Oats * Sea Buckthorn Oil * Shea Nut Butter * Soapwort * Tamanu Oil * Witch Hazel *
Eczema, or dermatitis, is characterized by dry, hot, itchy skin that can become raw and bleeding in severe cases. Although eczema looks alarming (and feels worse) it is not contagious. Eczema can be treated with many of the same remedies used for problem skin in general, but cannot be cured. Extra attention to keeping skin as healthy as possible and working to prevent flare-ups will be a life long endeavor.
Home Remedies for Eczema. Simple and soothing home remedies using baking soda and oatmeal in baths relieves itching skin. Studies have shown that highly diluted bleach can decrease bacteria responsible for the secondary infections as well. 1Applying herbal oils after bathing helps to keep skin hydrated.
Skin Healing Plants: Chickweed makes a fine green cooling ointment, that may be employed to treat acne, psoriasis, and eczema. (Grieve, Maud) Learn to identify and make use of this common "weed" that is probably growing in your back yard to ensure a free lifetime supply of salves. Comfrey's astringent tannins form a protective surface over wounds that promotes healing. For weeping eczema, make a tea of comfrey leaves and apply the liquid as a compress.
Natural Oil Therapy: Rich, tropical tamanu oil is healing to serious skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema, and diabetic sores and is a luxurious treat for dry, irritated or mature skin. Use rich, heavy oils like tamanu, kukui nut oil, and apricot to hold in moisture and form a protective barrier. Borage Seed Oil is known to be beneficial for both topical and internal applications. This oil is good choice for skin disorders such as psoriasis and eczema, and sun damaged or aged skin. While you may find its earthy smell unappealing, Neem oil has powerful anti-bacterial and skin healing prowess that make it especially suited to treating eczema and other serious skin disorders. Sea buckthorn oil can be applied directly to the skin, or taken as a supplment to treat eczema. Those with psoriasis and eczema may benefit from buckthorns ability to prevent plaque formation. While the cost of the oil is rather high, it is highly concentrated and can be used very sparingly.
Aromatherapy for Skin: Add a few drops of resinous oils to your skin care routine to promote healthier skin: benzoin, myrrh, frankincense, and balsam Cedarwood has a pronounced effect on the skin, and is of value in all types of skin eruptions. Its action is sedative, astringent, antiseptic and it relieves itching. (Tisserand,Robert B. "Art of Aromatherapy")
- Baking soda for eczema and rashes
- Birch Bark Dandelion Morning Tea
- Blood purifying tea
- Burdock tea
- Chickweed infused oil and salve
- Cleavers tea
- Coconut and Vitamin E Skin treatment
- Comfrey leaf Tea
- Eczema remedies: Herbal tea compress
- Forskolin Extracts
- Insomnia Tincture Formula
- Rosemary and Tansy Skin Wash
- Safflower Sunshine Psoriasis and Dry Skin Ointment
- Sarsaparilla root blood purifier tea
- Speedwell tea
- Tamanu Massage Oil
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.Fennel seed tea acts as an excellent digestive aid to relieve abdominal cramps, gas and bloating.
- . Treatment of Staphylococcus aureus Colonization in Atopic Dermatitis Decreases Disease Severity , PEDIATRICS Vol. 123 No. 5, (May 2009): A pediatric study published in the online journal Pediatrics showed diluted bleach baths decreased the severity eczema in children. The diluted bleach baths (about half a cup(125 ml per full bathtub of water) helped decrease bacteria responsible for the secondary infections, and patients did show dramatic improvement. , pp. e808-e814 (doi:10.1542/peds.2008-2217)
- Deni Brown. "Encyclopedia of herbs & their uses" Dorling Kindersley, (1995) Figwort contains aucubin, a mild laxative that increases the amount of uric acid secreted from the kidneys. The herb has a long history of use in Europe in the treatment of skin diseases.
- Mars, Brigitte . The Desktop Guide to Herbal Medicine , , (2008): Sea buckthorn can be applied to the skin in the forms of oils, salves, balms, or lotions to treat acne, burns dermatitis, eczema, infections, rosacea, and wrinkles.,