Herbs for Lupus natural remedies
Ashwagandha root * Black Cohosh root * Black Pepper * Bogbean * Borage Seed Oil * Camphor * Cat's Claw * Devil's Claw * Eucalyptus * Fennel Seed * Feverfew * Flax seed * Ginger Root * Lavender * Meadowsweet * Oregano * Pineapple * Rosemary * St. John's Wort * Turmeric * Vervain * White Willow Bark * Yerba Mate *
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system sabotages the body it is made to protect, causing harm to joints, skin, kidneys, heart, lungs, blood vessels, and the brain. Lupus has many overlapping symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis such as swollen joints, and chronic fatigue and the same branch of medicine, rheumatology, specializes in the treatment of both these rheumatic diseases. Symptoms of lupus vary widely depending on the individual case and the form of lupus present. This makes lupus harder to diagnose and is it is often confused with other disorders like fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.
- Anti-inflammatories: Lupus is a disease process with marked inflammation. Bupleurum, a Chinese herbal is used as an anti-inflammatory. Other anti-inflammatory herbal remedies showing some success in treating lupus include curcumin, an extract of turmeric, and bromelain, a pineapple enzyme 1
- Demulcents: demulcent to help with the associated chest pain and cough, and to assist the expectorant action.
- Nervines: to help the body cope with the overall effects of such a stressful illness. Also to address the insomnia and itching on an as needed basis
- Anti-rheumatics: to ease the joint pain and stiffness involved
- Diuretics: as needed to help alleviate the edema associated with the use of steroid therapy.
- EFA:Flaxseed, the richest plant source of linoleic acid (ALA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid, showed positive effects on lupus in studies. A diet rich in omega-3 acids is a good idea for those with a chronic inflammatory condition.2
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.
- Lauerman, John F. Asian Herbal Therapy for Lupus Alternative & Complementary Therapies American Botanical Council
- Clark, William F., A. Parbtani, M.W. Huff, E. Spanner, H. deSalis, I. Chin-Yee, D.J. Philbrick, and B.J. Holub. 1995. Flaxseed: A potential treatment for lupus nephritis. Kidney International, Vol. 48, pp. 475-480 American Botanical Council