Mental Focus and Memory
Herbs for Memory and Focus
Club Moss *
Eleuthero Root *
Ginkgo biloba *
Ginseng root *
Gotu Kola *
Holy Basil *
The ability to focus, and channel our concentration into the task at hand,
whether its work, reading, or play is more important than ever today. The near
constant distractions of the digital age, manifest as ADD, memory lapses,
low test scores, mood swings, or senior moments when we cannot find our car
The German Commison E has approved
ginseng as a tonic for invigoration and fortification
in times of fatigue and debility, for declining capacity for work and concentration,
also during convalescence. Although the exact mechanisms of activity are not
known, it is likely that ginseng protects a portion of the brain known as the
hippocampus from the effects of stress hormones. (Duke,James,
Ph.D.) A vast body of research supports numerous health benefits of many herbs from the Ayurvedic tradition including ginkgo, bacopa, and Gotu kola, particularly for treating
various symptoms and conditions associated with declining cognitive performance
and poor circulation. 2
Even more important than the benefits shown in various studies is the long history
of using herbs in traditional healing to support mental clarity. While many of
these herbal treatments may seem new if may be accurate to view them as things
we have forgotten, and are now organically rising in our conscious thoughts again.
See Also :
- Alcoholism :In the recovery of long term alcohol abuse the healing process should begin with restoring the liver and de-stressing mind and body.
- Anxiety :There are many herbal remedies that can support relaxation, ease anxiety, and help us regain balance.
- Aromatherapy :Essential oils are a powerful way to enhance the beauty of your home and health.
- Depression : Depression touches us all in some form, whether directly or in the suffering
of a loved one.
- Holiday_stress :Holiday Blues? This is the time of year we let go and indulge ourselves in rich foods and strong drink.
- Sleep/Insomnia :For light to moderate sleeping problems there are effective and safe herbal remedies.
- Stop Smoking :Lobelia and other herbs can help you to ease off nicotine and stop smoking tobacco.
- Stress :Helping the body deal with chronic stress is the very definition of an adaptogenic herb.
- . Evidence of Benefits from Herbal Preparations for Improving Cognition and Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia in the Elderly , American Botanical Council, (4-30-2012): Sage (Salvia officinalis) or Spanish sage (S. lavandulifolia), traditionally used for memory problems, has in vitro and in vivo anti-AChE activity. Sage oil and extracts enhance memory in studies with young and elderly normal volunteers, and have been shown to have positive cognitive and behavioral effects in clinical studies of patients with AD.,
- . Special Swedish Rhodiola Extract Shows Benefit in Mild to Moderate Depression in Clinical Trial , HerbClip ABC, (December 14, 2007): In addition to mood elevation, evidence indicates that R. rosea has numerous other benefits, including enhancement of cognitive function, sexual function, and both mental and physical performance under stress. ,
- . Centella asiatica , American Journal of Natural Medicine, (1997): Gotu kola has also been shown in a clinical trial to significantly increase mental function, demonstrating a mild tranquilizing and anti-anxiety action.,
- Krikorian R, Shidler MD, Nash TA, et al. . Blueberry supplementation improves memory in older adults. , J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58(7):3996-4000, (2010): American Botanical Council,
- Pase MP, Kean J, Sarris J, Neale C, Scholey AB, Stough C. . The cognitive-enhancing effects of Bacopa monnieri: , J Altern Complement Med. , (2012;18(7):647-652): A systematic review of randomized, controlled human clinical trials. Bacopa demonstrates antidementic, antioxidant, and cognitive-enhancing effects in several in vivo and in vitro studies. , . Vincamine article at NIH.gov , , (): The health benefits of vincamine and related compounds, which are sold as drugs in Europe, relate to the treatment of primary degenerative and vascular dementia. As a dietary supplement, vincamine is promoted as a nootropic.,
- HerbalGram . Evidence of Benefits from Herbal Preparations for Improving Cognition and Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia in the Elderly , , (04-30-2012): Lesser periwinkle (Vinca minor) aerial plant and its synthetic alkaloid vinpocetine have been shown to improve blood flow to the brain. Vinpocetine may be able to enhance cognition in patients with dementia, and enhanced memory and learning in patients with vascular dementia.,
- . A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardized extract SHR-5 of the roots of Rhodiola rosea in the treatment , Planta Med./ABC, ( November 18, 200): According to the authors, this study is the first to show that rhodiola benefits patients with chronic stress-induced fatigue. Additionally, this study is the first to demonstrate clinically that rhodiola benefits stress-induced disorders by modulating cortisol,