sciatica Herbs for remedies
Castor Oil * Cayenne Pepper * Clove * Dong Quai * Elecampane * Eucalyptus * Evening Primrose Oil * Hops * Jamaican Dogwood * Juniper Berries * Nutmeg * Passion Flower * Peppermint * Ravensara Oil * Rue * Spikenard * St. John's Wort * Tamanu Oil * Vervain * Wood Betony *
Nerve pain is more difficult to treat than other types of muscle and joint pain. This is something you know well if you have had a lower back injury or slipped disc; sciatica can be devastating
Even 40 years after the car accident that almost ended my life, lower back pain is still is a constant, unwelcome presence. My favorite remedy? Cayenne pepper oil , daily yoga and long walks to keep my back muscles in shape. Pain is a personal thing. What works as an effective pain reliever for one person, does nothing for another. Chronic pain is a symptom of an underlying imbalance, and it is important to address that imbalance as well as try to find ways to lessen the pain. Herbal remedies often use herb infused oils and liniments to treat nerve pain of all kinds: lower back pain, sciatica, muscle aches, fibromyalgia and arthritic nerve pain.
In addition to trying herbal remedies, you may also wish to explore acupuncture and professional massage therapy. Physical therapy techniques can be especially effective for nerve pain. The most important thing is to never give up, never surrender, and keep going until you find the your own personal answer.
Herbal Remedies for Nerve Pain
- The longer you use cayenne pepper the better it works to block nerve pain. Cayenne can be infused in oils and liniments, and is commonly found in OTC capsasin creams. Olive oil makes a great base for cayenne pepper oil.
- Devil's Claw has performed well in trials studying lower back pain; it was most effective for people who had the most severe, radiating pain, with numbness in the extremities.
- Rue is an active rubefacient. Bruise the fresh leaves and apply in a poultice to ease the severe pain of sciatica.
- St. John's wort herbal oil, extracted by macerating the flowers in vegetable oil, is excellent applied externally for neuralgia and can ease the pain of sciatica.
- Castor oil pack
- Cayenne and Coconut Oil Salve
- Cayenne Infused oil
- Cayenne Menthol Salve
- Cayenne pepper poultice
- Costmary infused oil
- Massage Oils for Pain #2
- Rosemary Infused Oil
- St. John's Wort Oil
- Willow and spices
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.Fennel seed tea acts as an excellent digestive aid to relieve abdominal cramps, gas and bloating.
- Phyllis A. Balch. "Prescription for Herbal Healing" Avery, (2002) Devil's claw has been most extensively tested for relief of lower back pain.
- Adele Dawson. "Herbs: Partners in Life" Healing Arts Press, (2000) A combination of agrimony, mugwort and vinegar is an excellent treatment for sciatica or muscular stiffness.
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) External frictions (massage) of the diluted essential oil ease neuralgia, sciatica and rheumatic pains. Juniper essential oil promotes elimination of uric acid making it useful in treatment of gout and rheumatoid arthritis. p56
- Gagnier JJ, van Tulder M, Berman B, Bombardier C. . Herbal medicine for low back pain , Pubmed NIH, (2006): Two high quality trials examining the effects of Harpagophytum Procumbens (Devil's Claw) found strong evidence that daily doses standardized to 50 mg or 100 mg harpagoside were better than placebo for short-term improvements in pain and rescue medication. (for non-specific low back pain) Another high quality trial demonstrated relative equivalence to 12.5 mg per day of rofecoxib (Vioxx),
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931) Externally, Rue is an active irritant, being employed as a rubefacient. If bruised and applied, the leaves will ease the severe pain of sciatica.