Natural Remedies For Psoriasis
Borage Seed Oil *
Burdock root *
Coconut oil *
Coleus Forskohlii *
Copaiba Balsam *
Kukui Nut Oil *
Licorice Root *
Oregon Grape root *
Poke Root *
Sarsaparilla Root *
Sea Buckthorn Oil *
Tamanu Oil *
Thuja oil *
Witch Hazel *
Psoriasis is unlike other
skin conditions, many of which are caused by external
irritations. Psoriasis may be one of the oldest recorded skin conditions. It was probably first described around 35 AD. Plaque psoriasis is the most common type of psoriasis. About 80% of people who develop psoriasis have plaque psoriasis, which appears as patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale. These patches, or plaques, frequently form on the elbows, knees, lower back, and scalp. However, the plaques can occur anywhere on the body. Unlike skin conditions that are the result of external causes, psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder, and runs in families (like
it does in mine). Drug treatments are much the same as for rheumatoid arthritis, and include
steroids and biologics that depress the immune
These treatments come with a high risk of side effects, and the prohibitive cost puts them
out of reach of many people. While this condition
is not life threatening, it has a profound effect on the peoples lives, self
esteem and confidence.
Healing by cleansing your system. The holistic approach to treatment considers not just cooling herbal oils and salves to treat the dry, itchy scales, but the use of blood purifying herbs.
sarsaparilla, and licorice are used in herbal medicine as a blood purifiers.
Burdock and dandelion are also recommended to help support the liver and kidneys to flush out your system. They work by helping to rid the
body of toxins that may be making your immune system react and help keep plaque
psoriasis skin cells from forming. I would encourage you to do some experimentation
with these herbs, to find the one that works best for you.
One of the hardest things to deal with is the constant itching of the dry,
scaling plaques as they are constantly forming over new skin. Menthol works
better than anything else I have ever tried to stop itching. Menthol is used
in many OTC psoriasis remedies, and is often combined with cortisone. For home
remedies, you can get menthol from peppermint oil, or purchase menthol crystals
in bulk. I like to combine it with cayenne
infused in organic olive oil.
This simple home remedy has been more effective than anything else we have tried.
Shampoos containing coal tar also help the dandruff and dry scales that form
on the scalp.
Sun and Water
I know many dermatologists recoil in horror at the thought of exposing skin
to sunshine without first applying sunscreen, but 15 minutes of daily sun
does so much to keep psoriasis under control, that for my family the benefits
the risks. We used to keep a membership at a tanning salon for the winter
months, but have discontinued that practice for fear of skin damage. You need
to weigh the benefits and risks of any sort of light therapy before making
a decision on whether it is right for you.
Herbal tea baths work to keep your troubled skin in good repair, but remember
the hotter the water, the more drying it is. It is important to re-hydrate your skin
with herbal oils during and after hot baths and showers.
See Also :
- Acne :Herbal remedies for acne both clear the skin and heal the scars acne leaves in the wake of a breakout
- Aromatherapy :Essential oils are a powerful way to enhance the beauty of your home and health.
- Cellulite : Cellulite is caused by superficial pockets of trapped
fat, which results in uneven dimpling or "cottage cheese" thighs. In order
to beat it a whole body approach needs to be used, including diet, exercise,
and skin treatments.
- Cuts & Wounds : Knowing how to use simple home remedies for healing and disinfecting cuts and
scrapes an important part in taking care of your family and yourself.
- Eczema :Although eczema looks alarming (and feels worse)
it is not contagious. Eczema can be treated with many of the same remedies used for
- Facial Care :Natural facial care remedies use organic ingredients that cost only pennies an application.
- Rashes :Poison ivy, allergic reactions,
flea and insect bites, diaper rash - these can all be treated at home using your own herbal remedies.
- Skin Care :Natural, organic skin care remedies do a better job of protecting and healing skin than store bought cosmetics.
- Stop Smoking :Lobelia and other herbs can help you to ease off nicotine and stop smoking tobacco.
- Adele Dawson. "Herbs: Partners in Life" Healing Arts Press, (2000) Burdock root is recommended for skin diseases where purification of the system is indicated, such as acne, psoriasis, and eczema. Burdock root tea can also be used as a skin wash, or taken internally to protect and support the liver.
- The enzyme level actions of Coleus help reduce the inflammation of skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema,
- Borage Seed Oil has the highest concentration of gamma linolenic acid (GLA) naturally found, higher than in any other plant source! Borage Seed Oil is known to be beneficial for both topical and internal applications. A good choice for skin disorders such as psoriasis and eczema, and sun damaged or aged skin. Regenerating and stimulating for all skin types.,
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Oregon grape is a muscular antioxidant and contains substances that help deter the formation of certain skin cells, which is why it is useful against psoriasis.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Sarsaparilla helps inflammatory conditions by acting as a blood purifier. Sarsaparilla soothes psoriasis, and eczema most likely by disabling bacterial components called endotoxins
that show up in the bloodstreams of people with psoriasis, arthritis and gout.
- Witkin JM, Li X. . The Bioactivity of Curcumin an Active Constituent of Turmeric , CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets., (2013-07-15): Curcumin has been reported to be active in alleviating a host of inflammation-related conditions including multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and others. This is thought to be due to the modulation of cytokines, a class of inflammation signalers. ,
- . Curcumin induces apoptosis in tumor necrosis factor-alpha-treated HaCaT cells , Int Immunopharmacol, (April 2012): .. we believe that curcumin is able to reverse the anti-apoptotic function of TNF-a in HaCaT cells and thus expect curcumin to be successful in the treatment of psoriasis,
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931) Cleavers acts as a diuretic and blood purifier. Regular use detoxifies the body, treating an underlying cause of chronic skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and acne.
- Rich, tropical tamanu oil is healing to serious skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema, and diabetic sores and is a luxurious treat for dry, irritated or mature skin.,
- Robert B Tisserand. "The Art of Aromatherapy" Healing Arts, (1977) Juniper oil makes a very good aromatic water for cleansing and toning the skin. As an astringent and antiseptic juniper is good for oily skin and acne. Juniper stimulates the circulation and acts as a blood purifier, making it useful for eczema, dermatitis, and perhaps psoriasis.
- Deni Brown. "Encyclopedia of herbs & their uses" Dorling Kindersley, (1995) Figwort contains aucubin, a mild laxative that increases the amount of uric acid secreted from the kidneys. The herb has a long history of use in Europe in the treatment of skin diseases.
- . Soap Nuts Profile , Mountain Rose Herbs, Commonly known as soap nuts, they are hypoallergenic, and can be used safely by people with nut allergies, and those with allergic reactions to chemcials and perfumes in commercial soaps. Those with troubled skin, eczema and psorisis can also benefit from the creams made from the powdered herb.,
- Mountain Rose Herbs . Safflower Oil Profile , , (2010):
Safflower petals also discourage cell proliferation and encourage cell death, which may make safflower petals useful in treating psoriasis and cancer.,
- . Capsaicin treatment induces histamine release and perfusion changes in psoriatic skin , PubMed, (1999): Capsasin, the most potent constituent of Cayenne, has been shown to be effective in treating the symptoms of psoriasis. Treatment does produce burning sensations, which are normal and decrease with repeated use. If you buy OTC products look for one that contains menthol, it will help relieve the itching as well. A 1999 study found that compared with placebo, 24 h of treatment with capsaicin caused a 15% decrease in perfusion in lesional skin. ,