Balms And Homemade Herbal Salves
Herbal oils form a great basis for salves and balms, or you can use a plain vegetable oil such as jojoba or olive. While homemade salves take a bit of practice, once you start making and enjoying them you will never go back to store bought.
- Step 1:Fresh or dried herbs are covered with spring water, brought to a boil in a enamel or stainless steel pot.
- Step 2: After the mixture comes to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes. Strain out herbal matter, and reserve liquid herbal infusion.
- Step 3: Add to to remaining liquid an equal amount of olive or safflower oil. Return to the pot and simmer until the water is gone. You can tell when the water is gone, because the mixture stopps bubbling and spitting.
- Step 4: Add enough beeswax to give a thicker consistency, heating just until beeswax melts. Stir and bottle will still hot.
- Step 5. When the mixture has cooled a bit, add essential oils if desired for increased fragrance and potency.
- Step 6: Pour the melted oil and wax while still warm into jars or tins.
Quicker Salve: Unrefined coconut oil is a ready made, spreadable body butter at room temperature. You can improve and build upon it by adding essential oils, vitamin E, and other oils, creaming them together with a kitchen fork. Store in closed container in a cool place. Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees, and but gets rock hard in the refrigerator, so storage temperature is important in retaining that creamy, easy to spread consistency.
Lip Balm: Moisten thirsty lips with natural homemade alternatives to petroleum-based lip balms. Combine organic vegetable oils, essential oils, herbs, honey and beeswax to make your own yummy creations to treat cold sores,chapped lips, and dry lips.
Balms / Salves Remedies
- Calendula Blister Balm
- Cayenne and Coconut Oil Salve
- Cayenne Menthol Salve
- Coconut and Vitamin E Skin treatment
- Comfrey Salve with coconut oil
- Honey Citrus Lip Balm
- Melissa Lip Balm
- Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Safflower Sunshine Psoriasis and Dry Skin Ointment
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.Fennel seed tea acts as an excellent digestive aid to relieve abdominal cramps, gas and bloating.