nausea, natural remedies for
Black Pepper * Bupleurum * Cardamom * Cinnamon * Clove * Gentian * Ginger Root * Holy Basil * Lavender * Lemon Balm * Lemon Verbena * Marsh Mallow Root * Peppermint * Prickly Ash * Rhodiola *
Use these simple remedies for quick relief of nausea, nervous stomach, motion sickness, morning sickness and quell nausea of all types.
Bitters & Syrups
The aromatic spices: cardamom, ginger, cinnamon and pimento are herbal all stars in relieving nausea, motion sickness, and morning sickness in pregnancy. Spearmint and peppermint are no slouches either, it really depends on what works best for you, there is a wide range of carminative herbs to choose from. You can quickly quell an upset stomach by sipping a cup of soothing herbal tea, using the essential oils in abdominal massage or simply taking a quick whiff of essential oil. Many bitter herbs help prevent stomach upset from occurring in the first place by improving digestion and can be taken in small amounts before or after meals.
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.
- Marlene Ericksen. "Healing with Aromatherapy" McGraw-Hill, (2000) Angelica's concentration of bitters make it an excellent digestive aid especially in cases of nervous stomach and tension-related digestive disorders.
- Rodale, (2000): Gentian is a bitter herb whose actions center mainly on the digestive system. Gentian improves appetite, and the bitters help to stimulate bile and digestive juices. This aids and speeds up the digestion of fat and protein, which increases the energy we get from food as well as decreasiong gastric upset. Gentian is also useful for gastro-intestinal inflammation (one of its alkaloids, gentianine, has been shown to be anti-inflammatory).,
- Phyllis A. Balch. "Prescription for Herbal Healing" Avery, (2002) Hot ginger tea served with lemon and honey is a delicious way to treat morning sickness. Although there are warnings in Chinese medicine about the use of ginger during pregnancy, used in moderation (the equivalent of 2 teaspoons, or 1 gram, two to three times per day) poses no risk to the health of the mother or developing baby. Recent studies indicate that eating as much as 2 to 3 tablespoons of raw ginger or 5 to 8 table-spoons of cooked ginger (15 or 40 grams, respectively) daily will not stimulate uterine contractions. If this is a concern for you, consider using Cardamom instead
- A cup of peppermint tea, or a whiff of the aromatic oil is a good and quick remedy for nausea,
- Linden is mildly sedating and was used by Native Americans for treating nervous stomach and headaches.,
- . Prickly Ash Bark and Powder Profile , Mountain Rose Herbs, (2010): Chopped prickly ash bark can be used to make teas or tinctures when combined with: Ginger and/or Panax ginseng for relieving chronic abdominal pain. Ginger to treat nausea and vomiting in long-term illnesses. Mume fruit(plum blossom)and coptis, or Oregon grape root for treating symptoms caused by roundworms (usually vomiting).