osteoporosis natural treatment
Although osteoporosis can affect both men and women, it is more prevalent in women, especially women who have gone through menopause and have lower levels of bone protecting estrogen in their bodies.
Bitters & Syrups
HRT, once considered the best option for protecting against bone loss in older women, has been found to be dangerous and not effect for this use. Phytoestrogen isoflavones are good candidates for herbal tonics for postmenopausal osteoporosis. These isoflavones are also found in many plants in the (FABACEAE) family which includes soybeans, red clover, alfalfa, garden peas, beans, licorice and kudzu. One of the best strategies for maintaining healthy bones is regular weight bearing exercises, enough sunlight exposure to product adequate levels of Vitamin D, (15- 20 minutes daily), and a diet naturally high in calcium and high quality protein.
- Vitamin K, found in alfalfa and in green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach, can partially prevent bone loss caused by estrogen deficiency. The vitamin interacts with vitamin D to increase the formation of new bone.
- horsetail is used in herbal traditions to maintain healthy skin, nails and hair and could assist in preventing osteoporosis.
- Parsley's high concentration of boron and fluoride might help against bone thinning and osteoporosis.
Parsley leaves and root are high in iron content and rich in vitamins A, B, C and trace minerals. Its high concentration of boron and fluoride might help against bone thinning and osteoporosis. (Duke,James, Ph.D., 165)
- The boron in nettles helps protect bones. Nettle provide a good green source of calcium along with protein when taken in tea form. One cup of nettle tincture contains the same amount of calcium - 300 mg - as one cup of nettle infusion.
Looking for something you can read offline? Join our mailing list and get a free copy of Methods for Using Herbs. This free handbook includes instructions on how to make basic herbal preparations at home. It covers making herbal teas, herb infused oils and balms, tinctures, and more.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Parsley has a longstanding folklore reputation for the treatment of rheumatism, arthritis and sciatica. It's high concentration of boron and fluoride might help against bone thinning and osteoporosis.
- Susun Weed. "New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way" Ashtree, (2002) Some French researchers assert that silicon, contained in horsetail, could assist in preventing osteoporosis and in speeding the healing of fractures. Take as a tea, once or twice a day
- Susun Weed. "New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way" Ashtree, (2002) The best way to take calcium rich stinging nettle for osteoporosis is in a tea. A cup of nettle herbal tea delivers as much calcium and boron, important herbs for bone health, as a whole cup of tincture would.
- Phyllis A. Balch. "Prescription for Herbal Healing" Avery, (2002) Clinical studies in Japan have found that vitamin K, found in alfalfa and in green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach, can partially prevent bone loss caused by estrogen deficiency. The vitamin interacts with vitamin D to increase the formation of new bone. The combination is not sufficient, however, to completely compensate for osteoporosis caused by estrogen-depleting medications