Lemon Verbena Aloysia citriodora
- Common Names
- Lemon Verbena , vervain
- Botanical Name
- Aloysia citriodora
- Syn. A. triphylla
Medicinal Uses & Benefits of Lemon Verbena
- Medicinal Uses: * Culinary/Kitchen
- Properties: * Antispasmodic * Aromatic * Carminative
- Parts Used: Leaves, flowers
- Constituents: cineole, acetic-acid, alpha-citral, alpha-pinene , alpha-terpinene, borneol, geraniol,limonene, tannin, terpinen-4-ol , caryophyllene
How to Use: Lemon Verbena
Preparation Methods & Dosage :
In the Kitchen: Use lemon verbena leaves fresh or dried to flavor, fish, poultry, vegetable dishes and salad dressings.Sweet but complex lemon fragrance.
- Flowers:Spikes of tiny lavender or white flowers
- Plant Class:Decidous Perennial Shrub
- Leaves: Lance shaped light green leaves
- Preferred Habitat: Warm, sunny climates, cold sensitive
- Flowering Season:late summer
- Distribution:Native to Chile, Argentina and Peru. Introduced to Europe in the 17th Century
How to Grow Lemon Verbena
Tender, woody shrub hardy to Zones 9 and 10 in the US. Does best in full sun and rich, well drained soil. Potted plants grow up to 5 feet in height are wintered indoors before the first frost.
History and Traditions & FolkloreIntroduced to the Old World in the 17th century by Spanish explorers.