Combat Bladder Infections With Herbal Teas
Corn Silk *
Couch grass *
Dandelion Root *
Elm, Slippery *
Horseradish root *
Juniper Berries *
Marsh Mallow Root *
Pumpkin Seed *
Uva Ursi *
Drinking herbal teas is a time tested method of combating bladder and urinary tract infections.
Some of the best known herbal teas for bladder infections include
buchu , bearberry and cornsilk but there are many others. Just increasing the amount of liquid you are taking in helps to increase the amount of urine, and helps flush out harmful bacteria. Drinking herbal teas in place of soft drinks helps to cut down on the sugars that feed bacteria infections. Adding a pinch of baking soda to these herbal teas will help decrease the burning sensation.
Mixing diuretic teas with soothing demulcents like marsh
couch grass calm inflammation in the urinary
tract. These herbs contains mucilage that help to coat the urinary tract as
well as antibacterial properties that fight the infection.
See Also :
- Athletes Foot/Ringworm :Athlete's foot, tinea pedis, is a superficial fungal infection that that infects the skin.
- Candida/yeast :Candidiasis is an infection caused by species of Candida fungi, especially Candida albicans
- Herpes/Cold Sores :HSV, or cold sores are often triggered by cold and flu viruses
- Immune :Tonic herbs help to ward off colds and infections by boosting the immune system.
- Infection :Herbal remedies are effective, safer, and cost less to use than synthetic compounds and antibiotics.
- Scabies :The word 'scabies' is Latin for itch, and the itching caused by scabies is intense.
- Sinus :The cold that lingers may not be just a cold. The congestion and headache may be signs of a sinus infection.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Volume 2" Harcourt, (1931) The great demulcent and emollient properties of Marsh Mallow make it useful in inflammation and irritation of the urinary and respiratory organs.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Volume 2" Harcourt, (1931) St. Johns wort is used in hysteria and nervous depression . For children troubled with incontinence of urine at night, an infusion or tea of St.Johns wort given before retiring will be found effectual ..St. John's wort is used in all pulmonary complaints, bladder troubles, in suppression of the urine, dysentery, worms, and dirarrhea.
- American Botanical Council . Uva Ursi leaf: Expanded Commission E Monographs , Integrative Medicine Communications, (1994):
- Linda B. White, M.D.. "The Herbal Drugstore" , (2003) Studies show that the berberine in Oregon grape may kill many types of bacteria, including E.coli, and prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder lining.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Extracts if corn silk are potent diuretics, giving rise to their use for all sorts of kidney-related and urinary complaints. The diuretic effect comes in handy for water retention and tissue swelling (whether from PMS or kidney disease), cystistis, urinary tract infections.
- Nancy L Nickell. "Nature's Aphrodisiacs" Crossing Press, (1999) Useful in urinary and vaginal infections, damiana contains a mildly irritating oil that stimulates the urinary tract.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Over-the-counter premenstrual diuretics ( such as Fluidex or Odrinil) contain buchu as an active ingredient. The diosphenol in buchu helps kill bacteria, and the diuretic action helps to flush out the urinary tract.
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) Horseradish is a powerful circulatory stimulant with antibiotic properties due to the mustard oil it contains. It is effective for lung and urinary infections because mustard oil is excreted through these channels p53
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) Due to their oil, juniper berries are a potent diuretic, imparting to the urine a
smell of violets. The oil is antiseptic, making the plant valuable in treating cystitis and urethritis. pp54-56
- Richard Mabey. "The New Age Herbalist" Fireside, (1988) Cleavers is a reliable diuretic used to help clean gravel and urinary stones and to treat urinary infections. It is also traditionally used for cancer, particularly that of the lymphatic system.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931) Broom was much recommended by Dioscorides and other ancient physicians as an aperient and diuretic in dropsy ,edema, urinary obstructions and nephritic cases.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Europeans praise goldenrod as one of the safest and most effective diuretic-antiseptic herbs. There is good clinical evidence of its diuretic activity. There is also clear scientific evidence that it is beneficial in treating kidney inflammation (nephritis). All of this suggests to me that this herb would also be of some benefit in treating bladder infections.
- James Duke. "The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook" Rodale Books, (2000) Lovage looks and smells just like celery, and it is also an effective diuretic for treatment of urinary tract inflammations, according to Commission E reports.
- . Pipsissewa Herb Profile , Mountain Rose Herbs, (): A native North American evergreen, Pipsissewa,Chimaphila umbellate, is primarly used to treat infections. Lotions and creams containing fresh herbal extracts heal skin infectons, and decoctions of the dried leaf are help to flush out bacteria in cases of bladder infections. Pipsissewa contains arbutin, the same active constituent found in uva-ursi and cranberry, and is very similar in properties and actions.,
- Hoffmann, David . Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine , Healing Arts Press., (2010): Cranberry juice helps flush out the urinary system by keeping bacteria from getting a foothold in the lining of the urinary tract., 381