Herbs For Natural Weight Loss
Herbal remedies for weight loss are one of the most popular uses for herbs
and also the most misused and misunderstood. Everyday we are bombarded with
pitches for natural weight loss
products on TV, on the radio, and those annoying pop up ads on the web. Most
of these take the form of cleverly named, overpriced supplements that mash together
a potpourri of weight loss herbs in a proprietary blend (meaning we want to hide
the ingredients). Herbal supplements that contain a laundry list of every popular
diet herb in not only cost much more that bulk herbs, some are downright unsafe.
The best way to avoid gimmicks and false promises is to buy pure, organic bulk
herbs and make your own weight loss teas from them. Not only will
you be assured of quality and freshness, but you can fine tune your diet formula
to suit your own unique metabolism.
Best Weight Loss Herbs
Recent studies show that adults who eat chocolate on a regular basis are actually thinner that those who don't and that modest, regular chocolate consumption might be calorie-neutral.
Chickweed tea is an old remedy for obesity, and wise women still drink teas of fresh chickweed as one of the classic spring tonics to cleanse the blood.
Fennel Seed has an ancient reputation as a weight loss aid still holds up today. Drinking a cup of fennel seed tea 15 minutes before eating a heavy meal seems to take the edge off your appetite.
Both Garcinia cambogia and the extracted acid HCA are widely used in weight control formulas.
Grapefruit increases circulation, stimulates the lymphatic system, and has a cleansing effect on the kidneys which may help to regulate body weight with regular use.
Hibiscus is a natural source of hydroxycitric acid (HCA, or hydroxycut), the same chemical used in many diet formulas. It also contains other obesity fighting chemicals such as chromium and ascorbic acid.
Kelp is commonly used in herbal medicine to stimulate the thyroid function, and can be effective in weight loss as part of a low calorie diet.
The punicic acid found in pomegranates is an especially powerful form of CLA, which has been shown to be beneficial in the fight against cancer, obesity, diabetes and heart disease. There seems to be no downside other than cost in adding pomegranate juice to your daily diet.
Natural psyllium acts as a safe and effective weight loss aid. The seeds expand in your stomach, increasing the feeling of fullness and slowing down the absorption of simple carbs.
The sweet leaves of this plant are a pleasant and guilt free alternative to sugar.
Many studies indicate that green tea has positive effects in metabolic syndrome and weight loss. The importance of caffeine was also highlighted in these studies, green tea catechins taken alone had no significant effects.
Mate acts much like a smooth caffeine. Additionally, it is believed to act to assist dieters in reducing food cravings and by helping you feel fuller, longer.
- Maud Grieve. "Modern Herbal Vol 1" Harcourt, (1931)
- Linda B. White, M.D.. "The Herbal Drugstore" , (2003)
- Phyllis A. Balch. "Prescription for Herbal Healing" Avery, (2002)
- . Curcumin Inhibits Adipogenesis , Journal of Nutrition, (May 2009): A new study published in the May, 2009 issue of The Journal of Nutrition concludes "Our findings suggest that dietary curcumin may have a potential benefit in preventing obesity."
- . Chapter 8: Seeds, Fruits and Cones , FAO, (1995): The pinolenic acid contained in pine nut oil can help curb appetite by stimulating the release of cholecystokinin,
a hormone that functions as an appetite suppressant.,
- Richo Cech. "Making Plant Medicine" Horizon Herbs, (2000)
- . Spirulina Powder , Mountain Rose Herbs, (): Blue Green Algae (BGA), Spirulina, is both an ancient food source and a modern dietary supplement.
- Narender Kumar Jain, Maqsood Siddiqi, J. H. Weisburger . Protective effects of tea on human health , , (2006):
- Harry Preuss, Bill Gottlieb . The Natural Fat-Loss Pharmacy , Broadway Books, (2007): Many weight-loss products are basically caffeine pills. But you wouldn't know it from the label. Instead, you will see caffeine-like herbs
- Richard D. OBrien . Fats and oils: formulating and processing for applications , CRC Press, (2009): Safflower oil occupies a unique position in that it has the highest level of
linoleic (C-18:2) fatty acid available commercially.
- Cathy Wong, Sabra Ricci . The Inside Out Diet , John Wiley and Sons, (2007): Yacon root is a promising low calorie sweetener, with some caveats.
- By Robert A. Newman, Ephraim P. Lansky, Melissa Lynn Block . Pomegranate: The Most Medicinal Fruit , Basic Health Publications, Inc, (2007): Antioxidant polyphenols in pomegranate juice, peels and seed oil protect against obesity by helping to restore balance in insulin-resistant people.
- . , , (): Advertised as Wild mango, or African mango, this supplement is made from the fruit seeds of an tree native to Africa. While their may be some benefit to eating the fruit, as local folklore suggests, this may or may not translate into weight loss for those who buy it in pill form. More objective research is needed.,
- Zulfaqar Dudhia, Johan Louw, more.. . Cyclopia maculata and Cyclopia subternata (honeybush tea) inhibits adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 pre-adipocytes , Phytomedicine Volume 20, Issue 5 , (15 March 2013): Research published in the March 2013 Journal of Phytomedicine found that honeybush
tea inhibits fat accumulation in cellular and animal models of obesity. Drinking honeybush tea may slow your body's fat storage and even help to burn existing fat store., Pages 401-408,